Sunday, November 15, 2009

Alien attacks UFO!


This was one of a series of bentos that I made for a panel on bentos that was all about how to make cool and cute bentos without any special tools. Since I tend to use the tools on a regular basis, it was a very neat challenge and got me thinking outside the box. I have to say that I love the alien, absolutely love him!!

On the very bottom is a well-packed layer of jasmine rice covered with a sheet of nori to create a space background. In the near corner I created a shaped 'bowl' of white rice, filled that in with a mound of curry and made a 'roof' over the curry with blue rice. I topped off the UFO with a black olive and some edamame.

In the other corner is the hungry alien with a croissant body, tortellini pasta and black olive eyes held together by red toothpicks, green baby spinach hair and yakiudon tentacles. The mouth is a tomato flower with a nice pickled ginger tongue - the best use of gari that I've made yet!

I couldn't wait to get to this bento after dance class, it's definately going on my list of favorites. It was so much fun and really tasty, but mostly just plain hilarious. If I ever need a good pick me up, I'm going to recreate this one :)

The box I used was just one tier of a three tier picnic box. I would generally fill it all the way up with food for a multi-person picnic. Since there was a lot of blank space (yes, it's a pun) in this bento it was perfect for just me.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

That is adorable!! I love the challenge of making one without special tools. You did an amazing job!

Lia Chen said...

Awesome ... love the color of the blue rice there (^.^)

Flying Lily said...

I love your space alien! He looks just ready to chow on the UFO...

javapot said...

tenticles and all - great work!

Natakiya said...

BentoForKidlet: Thank you! It was so much fun to make :)

Lia Chen: Isn't it great? We love colored rice!!

Flying Lily: Thanks :) That's exactly how I wanted it to look, I'm glad it worked!

javapot: Yay, thank you!

menoq said...

hai...
so creative :)