Monday, April 4, 2011

Wisteria and Butterflies

A-chan does not often specifically ask for a theme or a character in her bentos, but for this one she requested butterflies. With the arrival of spring she has been waiting with as much patience as a six year old can muster for the beautiful array of butterflies that normally swarm our yard. My favorite spring flower is Wisteria (technically a flowering vine, I guess). I love the graceful drapes of purple that remind me of Fairy bowers. I tried to combine both of these things in a bento, but I'm not pleased with the Wisteria at all. That just means I get to try it again, right?

This past Saturday was summer camp registration. What I thought would be a 30 minute trip to sign A-chan up for camps turned into an ordeal of many hours. It wasn't all bad, though - while we waited in the never ending line I got to meet several very nice ladies. I enjoyed chatting with them a lot! Even though the sign up process is extremely tedious, it's worth it because our county has some great camp themes. We managed to get A-chan signed up for the Star Wars gymnastics camp (she is so excited about it!). The Fairies, Elves and Dragons Art camp that she wanted was all full up so we're on a waiting list.

In the bento: Spaghetti noodles that have been cut into small sections for ease of eating, purple potato wisteria, butterflies cut from bread slices, a large piece of broccoli on a pick (inspired by Happy Little Bento), baby corn, baby carrots, raspberries, another butterfly cut from soy turkey and some tiny purple potato flowers.

The wisteria was cut out of thin slices of purple potato using a petal shaped cutter. A different cutter style might have gotten the look that I want, but it was already done so I just went with it :) The bread butterflies were cut using a tiny butterfly cutter after I rolled the bread slice flat. The broccoli 'tree' is something that I have seen several times over at Sherimiya's blog, Happy Little Bento. Every time I see it in one of her bentos I want to use it in mine, it's such a nifty and creative use for this pick!

2 comments:

Happy Little Bento said...

I think the vine looks great. At first glance I thought it was a real sprig. Those camps sound fun too! Wish we had those options here. Thanks for the mention; your tree is cute :o)

Bentobird said...

Adorable and so spring fresh. Wisteria is a beautiful bento theme!