Friday, June 20, 2008

Burgers with Mac'n'Cheese

Bottom tier: Morningstar Farms Veggie Burger, 3 mini cheese and potato pierogies, steamed broccoli, steamed corn on the cob, cherry tomato halves, tiny mozzarella flower.

Middle tier: The best Mac'n'cheese I've ever made, with a decorative broccoli floret and some mozzarella flowers.

Top tier: Orange wedges, Hello Kitty candies



Pretty much the exact same items are in the other two bentos, but the one for my little girl had a mozzarella umbrella with mamenori hearts for cuteness, and an added lollipop.
The mac'n'cheese was fantastic, with radiatore pasta, garlic, mozzarella, parmesan and cheddar jack cheeses.
This was the first time I had ever tried to include corn on the cob in any of my bentos. I was particularly inspired by someone on the flickr bento box group (I will put up a link tomorrow) whose boxes with corn always looked soooo yummy. But raw corn on the cob is very difficult to cut all the way through I found out. I had to enlist the aid of my husband who had trouble as well. Yes, he could have cut through it but didn't want to injure the countertop, the knife or make half the corn go spinning off onto the floor. Eventually we discovered that the corn is a lot easier to cut AFTER it's been cooked. Silly us, lol.


No comments: