Friday, December 17, 2010

Catching snowflakes

I'm not sure where she got the idea from exactly, but whenever A-chan hears that it might snow she immediately starts asking if she can catch snowflakes on her tongue. Today's bento was in honor of this annual wintertime quest. After a looooong night last night - we went to my dance class and then picked up my husband from the airport at 11 pm, finally getting home around 1 am - I was completely pooped this morning. I had cooked some corn planning to put it in the bento and then totally forgot about it. It was still sitting on the counter cooling off when we got back from taking A-chan to school. Some mornings require more coffee than others, lol.

In the bento: Two onigiri, two veggie gyoza, steamed broccoli, carrot flowers, apple with heart cut-out and mamenori snowflakes. On the side is a holiday chocolate as a special dessert for the last day of school this year.

The boy onigiri has american cheese for hair, the girl onigiri is sporting the 'odango' hairstyle (I read about that on Wednesday on wikipedia!!) with apple peel bows and nori bangs. They both have nori faces with soy ham tongues all stretched out and ready to catch snowflakes.

The snowflakes were cut using a snowflake punch. I love using mamenori for things like this, the snowflakes look so delicate!

2 comments:

OhayoBento said...

Mamenori?? I don't know what that is, what is it??? The little boy and girl are so cute!!1 I want to come catch snowflakes with them!

Natakiya said...

Mamenori is sushi wrapping stuff that's based on soy instead of nori. It's like edible paper and it comes in colors - natural, yellow, orange, green and sometimes pink. It's really neat stuff!!

Lol, they are cute, thank you! :) I love it when I can come up with a reason to put tongues sticking out!