Thursday, August 25, 2011

Chubby Puppies

When I was making the onigiri this morning I hadn't realized just how big they were til I put them in the box. They are huge! I used the same design that A-chan and I had put together for one of my birthday onigiri. The puppies are cute but really need more color. I tried to make brown egg sheets (colored with soy sauce) but they came out a lot paler than I expected. I'll try again another time, though!

In the bento: Two puppy onigiri with eggsheet and nori details, a frozen cherry, two orange slices, a babybel cheese, a container of sugar snap peas, two veggie hot dogs with corn in the centers.

The sugar snap peas are the challenge that A-chan set for me at the grocery store a few days ago. I simmered them in a mixture of water, soy sauce, mirin and brown sugar. She will eat them for lunch and tell me if I did a good job or not. I can't wait to find out the verdict! Next week she has challenged me to cook Kale :)

6 comments:

sheri fujihara chen said...

Pups are cute! And what a great way to get her interested in trying new preparations of veg of her choice!

Jenn @ BentoForKidlet said...

The chubby puppies are so cute!!

Lia Chen said...

Anything chubby always cute hehehe ... I like your chubby puppies! Hope you can win the challenge to cook kale for the next bento. And more challenges from her very soon (^.^)

Natakiya said...

Thank you, Sheri! I love the way the puppies came out. Unfortunately she didn't like the peas so much but we'll keep trying!

Natakiya said...

Yay, Thanks Jenn! I totally loved your Tardis bento :-D

Natakiya said...

So true, Lia! Thank you :) The challenges will continue later in the week. We love food adventures!