Thursday, August 25, 2011

Chubby Puppies

When I was making the onigiri this morning I hadn't realized just how big they were til I put them in the box. They are huge! I used the same design that A-chan and I had put together for one of my birthday onigiri. The puppies are cute but really need more color. I tried to make brown egg sheets (colored with soy sauce) but they came out a lot paler than I expected. I'll try again another time, though!

In the bento: Two puppy onigiri with eggsheet and nori details, a frozen cherry, two orange slices, a babybel cheese, a container of sugar snap peas, two veggie hot dogs with corn in the centers.

The sugar snap peas are the challenge that A-chan set for me at the grocery store a few days ago. I simmered them in a mixture of water, soy sauce, mirin and brown sugar. She will eat them for lunch and tell me if I did a good job or not. I can't wait to find out the verdict! Next week she has challenged me to cook Kale :)

6 comments:

Happy Little Bento said...

Pups are cute! And what a great way to get her interested in trying new preparations of veg of her choice!

Unknown said...

The chubby puppies are so cute!!

Lia Chen said...

Anything chubby always cute hehehe ... I like your chubby puppies! Hope you can win the challenge to cook kale for the next bento. And more challenges from her very soon (^.^)

Natakiya said...

Thank you, Sheri! I love the way the puppies came out. Unfortunately she didn't like the peas so much but we'll keep trying!

Natakiya said...

Yay, Thanks Jenn! I totally loved your Tardis bento :-D

Natakiya said...

So true, Lia! Thank you :) The challenges will continue later in the week. We love food adventures!