Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Tofu Aliens!


A-chan requested Tofu Aliens in her bento today.  The Tofu Aliens had originally started as doodles last Christmas during a long drive up to visit family.  They were so fun to draw that I kept doing more and more! We even thought up a few stories to go along with them.  I wish that I had time to share one with you, but today is Advent Calendar day.  That means I need to get to work on wrapping little gifts and hanging them up!

In the bento: The fruit tier holds a container of pomegranate seeds, checkered apple pieces, tangerine slices, a small bunch of grapes and two picks with black olives.  The second tier has three peanut butter and sugar sprinkle sandwiches, carrot flowers, steamed broccoli and two tofu aliens.

The tofu aliens are made from extra firm tofu blocks that were lightly pan seared in sesame oil.  Their eyes are nori and half cooked spaghetti noodles were perfect for the antennae.  The ends of the antennae were cut from apple peel pieces that were removed from the checkerboard apples.  After a failed attempt at making cheeks with pomegranate juice I decided to use soy bologna to hide what turned out looking like bruises as the juice turned purple.

Here is one of my silly but fun Tofu Alien doodles!


6 comments:

Happy Little Bento said...

Your tofu aliens are awesome! And I love your doodles as well!

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh Tofu Aliens are SO CUTE!!! Love this :D

Natakiya said...

Yay! I'm so glad that you like them, Sheri. Thank you :)

Natakiya said...

Thanks so much, Jenn! I was really surprised that they turned out so cute in real life, lol :)

Lily said...

These are so adorable!
I just came across your blog a couple days ago and love looking at all the beautiful food you create.
(It's quite distracting from all the work I should be doing!)
You're quite an artist!

Natakiya said...

Hi, Lily! Thank you!! :D It's so much fun to play with food and create healthy lunches that are cute. I'm totally addicted to cute food!