Sunday, April 8, 2007

Spring Rice Balls Bentos

Since we do not eat eggs Easter is a bit of a conundrum in terms of easter eggs. This year I decided to try experimenting with colored rice balls in preparation for future years when my toddler is old enough to be interested in such things. They are extremely easy to make and I think she would have fun forming the balls and maybe mixing the colors together to make her own creations. The hiding part we will have to skip, I think...

I made 3 batches of rice with a different food coloring added to the water and swirled around a bit just before I turned on the cooker. I was surprised at how well the sticky thai rice took the colors!

I also experimented with some corn croquettes by replacing the egg in the batter with silken tofu. It worked beautifully and they were very tasty. (The second batch was much better cause I remembered to put salt in them...) I will put up the recipe sometime soon!




We all had a pink, yellow and blue rice ball, though A-chan's were miniatures which were so cute! Carrot ribbons added even more color. There were also vegetarian eggrolls, Morningstar Farms Chik Nuggets with Ketchup, baby tomatoes and corn croquettes in the silicone cups.


No comments: