Sunday, February 11, 2007

Baked Tofu Bentos

My bento consisted of -

Top Tier: Jasmine rice with tiny carrot stars, a baked tofu star, tomato, homemade veggie gyoza and black sesame seeds.
Bottom Tier: Jasmine rice packed around a green pea star with baked tofu star and black sesame seeds.


My Husband's Bento -
Top Tier: Baked tofu dice with black sesame seed pips on a bed of green peas, baby tomatoes, homemade veggie gyoza.
Bottom Tier: Jasmine rice with carrot cut-outs and black sesame seeds, green peas and another baby tomato. (My husband calls the carrot cut-outs "soy sauce targets")


My daughter's bento -
Top Tier: Jasmine rice with Mrs. Dash 'furikake', green peas and carrot heart & star.
Bottom Tier: Baked tofu dice with black sesame seed pips, baby tomatoes and homemade veggie gyoza.

The baked tofu was the only thing that I could think of that would leave the tofu white enough to look like dice. It worked very well and the blandness of the tofu allowed our new favorite sauce, tonkatsu ala Cookingcute.com to shine! I just cooked the tofu cubes in a 375 degree oven for 10 minutes, turned them over and cooked 10 more. The original tonkatsu sauce recipe is here: http://www.cookingcute.com/gallery/gallery_011806.htm I modified it by using HP sauce instead of Worcestershire cause the big W isn't vegetarian. And I'll take any excuse to use HP sauce, yummm!

No comments: