This is my version of Pastitsio, a greek meat casserole, that is vegetarian and incredibly yum! I've changed it quite a bit from the original idea so I don't know if it truly qualifies as 'pastitsio' any longer, but that's what I call it. On the side are black olives and homemade bread. (I love my bread machine!)
1/2 box macaroni noodles
1 pkg. Morningstar Farms soy crumbles
1 onion, chopped
1/2 can tomato sauce
2 TB red wine
1 container Digiorno grated parmesan cheese
3 TB parsley
2 ts paprika
1 ts cumin
2 ts cardamom
1 ts soy sauce
butter, lots of butter
1/2 cup soy milk
2 TB flour
1. Cook the macaroni noodles. As soon as they are done drain and pour into a baking dish. Mix in 4 TB butter, 1/4 cup parmesan, salt, pepper & three generous shakes of nutmeg.
2. Sautee onion and garlic pwd in butter (I used about 2 TB butter, but you can use more or subsitute olive oil instead). When the onions are mostly cooked, add the soy crumbles with 1 ts soy sauce. Sautee until just cooked.
3. Add tomato sauce, veg. broth, red wine and spices. Simmer until almost no liquid remains. Mix into the macaroni noodles.
4. Take the pan from the crumbles mixture and put in 1/2 cup soy milk, 2 TB flour and 1/2 cup parmesan, 2 shakes nutmeg. Stir until the cheese is melted and the mixture turns creamy. Pour into the macaroni mixture and stir well.
5. Cook in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Remove and cover top with the remaining parmesan cheese in an even layer. Put back into the oven for 5-10 minutes depending on how brown you like your topping.