Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Cute Hairstyles Bento

It has been forever since I made a bento. 11 days to be exact. I was expecting it to be difficult and painful to get up early this morning after the long enforced week at home with snow and ice keeping us trapped. It pleasantly surprised me to be awake early and feeling excited rather than dreading the return to our regular schedule. I had an idea for today's bento and I couldn't wait to try it out. The idea was inspired by the Cute Food For Kids blog and the incredibly cute Babybel hairstyles that I saw there recently. What I really wanted to try was making hair out of pancakes!

Using my "food only" scissors I cut the mini pancakes to resemble the Babybel styles. It worked pretty well! Underneath the hair are circles of provolone and under those are more mini pancakes. The faces are nori and the cheeks are tiny dots of sriracha. For the cheeks I dipped a toothpick in the sauce and then lightly tapped it to the cheese.

In the bento: Mini pancakes faces with carrot and soy ham hair ornaments, cherry tomato, carrot slivers, veggie sausage links, babybel cheese, carrot stars and a small bunch of grapes.

We enjoyed the snow and all the craziness that ensued because of it, but I have to say that I am soooo entirely delighted to be back to bentoing!!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the cute little girls with their pancakes hair!

Happy Little Bento said...

Haha! Cute girlies :D

mama elaine said...

So cute.. I Love it.. :)

Tiffany Yang said...

awww....cute girls! I especially like the bottom one. Love her hair clips! Also, thank you so much for the link.

Journal Mommy Yenny said...

so creative idea to create it from pancake :) thumbs up!

Natakiya said...

Thanks, Jenn! A-chan said they were cute AND tasty. lol :D

Natakiya said...

Thank you, sherimiya :D I'm glad they turned out well!

Natakiya said...

That's so sweet, mama elaine, thanks!

Natakiya said...

Thank you for the great inspiration, Tiffany!!! I'm glad that you liked the pancake girls :D

Natakiya said...

Thanks so much, Yenny!!