Thursday, January 6, 2011

I surrender!

A cute little snowman putting his arms up to surrender after a wild and dangerous snowball fight with his buddies. Watch out, though - he still has 3 snowballs in his arsenal...

In the bento: The top tier has a huge elephant container of ketchup, veggie hotdogs, steamed broccoli, a container of peaches and blueberries, plus three picks with pickle slices on them.

The bottom tier has a layer of rice completely hidden underneath the Japanese curry, and a very sneaky provolone snowman.

The snowman's arms were cut from baby spinach leaves using my kitchen scissors. His scarf is a bit of apple peel. The face and buttons are nori while the hat was cut from the end of a veggie hotdog and has a tiny bit of apple peel flourish.

I absolutely am loving the way that the hotdogs turned out. In my eternal search for a way to make veggie dogs look lovely in a bento, this is a definite win! Nothing special here, though - just a diagonal slice through the middle of a dog and then small v-cuts on the centerlines in both directions.

I'm trying a few different things in the curry now and again. This time I added sultanas and honey. It's pretty sweet, almost too sweet for my taste (I'm a hot and spicy loving girl) but A-chan is head over heels for it!

5 comments:

Uniflame said...

Your snowman looks so totally cute!! Do you have a recipe for that Japanese curry? I would love to try! It looks tasty :)

Journal Mommy Yenny said...

oh, he is so cute :)
have a nice weekend

Natakiya said...

Thanks, Uniflame!! I do have a recipe for Japanese curry - I will try to post it soon for you :) It is one of our favorite meals.

Natakiya said...

Thank you, Yenny!! You have a great weekend too :) I hope it's full of fun!

OhayoBento said...

Mmmmm the curry looks delicious! I've never actually made my own. I agree with Uniflame, I'd love to see a recipe. ^_^