Monday, January 24, 2011

Love letters

It may be a little early to jump into making Valentine's Day bentos, but I figured this was subtle enough to slide in under the radar. I started my planning for Valentine's this morning, after a weekend of being shocked that it was not as far in the future as I'd thought. I have to buy stuff to make Valentine's chocolates! I have to figure out what to do for A-chan's school! I have to keep it from sneaking up on me and walloping me in the head with the suddenness that it has done so often in the past.

In the bento: Two cheese sandwiches in the shape of envelopes, a heart shaped container of black eyed peas, a halved cherry tomato, 3 spears of baby corn, 3 black olives and a carrot flower on a pick.

To make the envelope I cut the crusts off of the bread slices then smooshed it flat with a rolling pin. The flap of the envelope is just another flat piece of bread put on top of the sandwich. The heart 'sticker' was cut from soy ham. The stamp background is provolone cheese with a tiny nori heart on top.

I'm really loving the tiny heart punch. I didn't think that I would get so much use out of it, but it's showing up all over the place, lol! Also pictured is a package of Genji pie that we splurged on at Super H Mart yesterday. (It's basically a heart shaped butter pastry with sugar on top, very light and crispy and yum!)

4 comments:

Journal Mommy Yenny said...

It is so creatively nice :)

Uniflame said...

This looks cute :) It makes a simple cheese sandwich more appealing.

Natakiya said...

Thanks, Yenny!!

Natakiya said...

Aww, thank you Uniflame!