Friday, January 21, 2011

Sunny Day Bento

It's been a while since I've done a 'sun and flowers' bento. Today is the perfect day for one! The sun is bright and beautifully shining and you can just feel Spring right around the corner. In keeping with this week's (inadvertent) theme, today's bento was another simple one with minimal time and decoration.

In the bento: Garlic and basil couscous, cherry tomato, carrot slivers (see, I told you they would show up again!), baby corn spears, steamed broccoli, and a tulip-shaped container of black eyed peas.

The decorations: A carrot slice makes up the sun and I used slivered carrots for the rays. For the flowers I used a flower cutter on provolone and put sugar stars on top. Cucumber peel was used for the stems and leaves. The eyes of the tomato girl were cut from provolone and then I used a nori punch for the rest. A bow-shaped pick was inserted at a cute angle, but I'm not sure that I like it now.

2 comments:

Bentobird said...

Oh please send soem of that spring's just around the corner feeling to us here, its soooooo chilly! But wait, you did with this lovely and festive bento :D!

Natakiya said...

I'm so ready for winter to be over, too! We're supposed to have lovely weather this weekend, I'll send some your way :D