Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Switching gears

Today's bento is completely different from what I had in mind.  But the bread that I was going to use to make sandwiches turned out to be moldy and required a total switching of gears.  My freezer stash saved the day again, yay!  The two onigiri were frozen as were the fried tofu sticks and the broccoli which made for a panic-free morning.

In the bento: Small dill pickles, carrot flowers, raspberries, two flower shaped onigiri with carrot flower centers, two fried tofu sticks and a piece of steamed broccoli.

To reheat the onigiri for the bento I took them from the freezer and placed them on a microwave safe plate.  Next I sprinkled them with a little bit of water and microwaved them for one minute.  The fried tofu sticks were already deep fried before storing them in the freezer.  To reheat them I put them  into a 400 degree oven straight from the freezer and cook for 7 minutes.  Reheating them in the oven takes longer than the microwave but preserves the lovely crunchy texture.

No comments: