Wednesday, March 21, 2012

A Funny Bao


One of our favorite things to buy at Super H mart are sweet potato bao.  We buy them frozen and save them for treats and fun bentos.  The outside is a mix of pink and purple and is so soft when they are steamed, just perfection!  Spring is here, the sun is shining, birds are tweeting up a storm outside so today is a perfect day for a little sweet potato treat.

In the bento: Sweet potato bao, steamed broccoli, half a cherry tomato, tofu and edamame on a pick, blueberries and orange slices.

Taking inspiration from Sherimiya's bao creativity, I cut the ears from the top layer of the bao using an exacto knife.  It wasn't as easy as I'd thought it would be!  The eyes, nose and mouth are provolone and nori, the cheeks are soy bologna.  Simple, tasty and fun :)

5 comments:

OhayoBento said...

He looks great! I love the color. Now you're making me want some bao!!

Natakiya said...

Thanks, Heather! They are so sweet and yummy, almost like healthy cake :)

Theprincessandthetot said...

This is just adorable! Your bentos are such an inspiration to me.

This may sound like a strange request, but would you be willing to e-mail me a picture of the package from your sweet potato bao? I am heading to H Mart this week and would love to pick some up! My e-mail is theprincessandthetot@gmail (dot) com

Natakiya said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Natakiya said...

Sure, I would be absolutely willing to give you a picture of the bao package! I'll email it to you tomorrow once I've had a chance to get a pic :)