Wednesday, October 13, 2010

It's the season for Candycorn!

It is candycorn season once again, hurrah! This past Sunday A-chan and I made candycorn onigiri again. Shaping the brightly colored rice into the shape of my most beloved fall candy is becoming one of my favorite fall rituals. We made 3 cups of white rice, 3 cups of yellow rice and 2 cups of orange rice using gel food coloring. It was a LOT of rice!! It took us about an hour to make all of it into onigiri. A-chan even did some of the candycorn onigiri all on her own. She was so cute!

The rice ball candycorns are so much healthier than gorging on my fav candy of the season!!! Until last year my autumnal season was incomplete because all the candycorn I could find had gelatin in it and I could not eat it. I really missed having it. Candycorn was my childhood memory of Halloween and crunchy leaves underfoot. I had almost given up being able to share it with my girl. But last year I found that the Kroger brand candycorn was vegetarian, haha! I eagerly anticipated it this year and when that lovely day arrived I bought 2 bags. That was a pretty modest amount, I felt. Then we ate it all within a three day period. And then I bought more. I have one bag in the car for emergencies, one open bag in the house and three unopened bags.
In the bento: One large fuji apple bunny, veggie hot dogs, one floret each of cauliflower and broccoli, 2 large carrot maple leaves, 1 miniature blueberry muffin, 1 pick of corn, 1 large candycorn onigiri.

A-chan got the first of the onigiri, one of the ones that she made all by herself. Normally I don't do the ice-water treatment on the bunny ears to get them to stand up, but this was a special occasion so I went ahead.

7 comments:

Kelly Polizzi said...

Now THAT is clever. Thanks for sharing :)

Sonoma Bento said...

Wow, these candy corn onigiri are brilliant! How do you color the rice?

Happy Little Bento said...

Candycorn onigiri? Love this idea!! Want to try this one too!!

OhayoBento said...

The onigiri are fantastic! You did a great job with the colors, it looks just like the candy!

Natakiya said...

Thanks, Kelly! It was just a natural progression of my candycorn obsession :)

Sonoma Bento, I colored the rice by cheating - gel food coloring that you can find in the baking aisle. I add a few drops of the gel to the water before cooking the rice, stirring it to make sure that it is evenly distributed.

Woohoo, Sherimiya!! Glad that you like them :) Definitely make some, they are so much fun!

Thank you, OhayoBento :D

Lunch Buckets said...

I'm left wondering why -I- don't have an emergency bag of candy corn ...

Natakiya said...

Lol, Lunch Buckets :D I definitely recommend one!