Friday, October 29, 2010

To see a ghost

While I searched through my collection of halloween cookie cutters, choosing just the right ones to use for her birthday party, A-chan sorted through the rest of my huge box of cutters. In the end we selected the Wilton bat and pumpkin cutters for her party. But then she found the foot shaped cutter. First of all, I have to wonder why there is a foot-shaped cookie cutter?! To me the idea of cookies in the shape of feet is really strange and kind of icky. A-chan, however, immediately crowed with delight. To her it looked like a perfect ghost. Yesterday she remembered seeing the ghost shaped cutter and requested that she have a ghost in today's bento. Ta dah!

I think the ghost looks a little strange, but it's exactly as she wanted it with black eyes and a red mouth. She was so happy when she saw it this morning! And I felt like quite the hero since I managed to pull it off on a total of 2 hours sleep. Can you say Yay, coffee!! Luckily my constant coughing didn't wake her at all and the cats only grumbled a little when a coughing fit disturbed their royal rest upon my lap.

With all the caffeine I've consumed in the last few hours I now feel decidedly giddy. That must be the reason why I start giggling every time I look at the school picture proofs that I picked up with morning. It has nothing to do with the fact that my lovely girl looks like a caricature of a troll with a horrible grimace in a pretty pink dress. Le sigh. It's just not possible to get her to smile for a picture without some time and patience and a joke or two. Does anyone else have that problem?

In the bento: Couscous, ghost made of bread with black bean eyes and veggie pepperoni mouth, Morningstar Farms chik nugget 'tombstone', tiny jack'o'lantern onigiri with a broccoli stem, raspberries, steamed broccoli and cauliflower, two pieces of baby corn, one twisty french fry. Not pictured are a soy sauce piggy, container of salt and a container of ketchup.

No comments: