Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Sweet strawberries

Wow, yesterday was a busy day! It was crazy busy. We have a dance performance this friday so 2-3 hour rehearsals every day this week, plus A-chan went to the dentist. No cavities, yay!
Today will be a little less busy except for trying to catch up on all the things I didn't get done yesterday. This one is a very simple bento, but I love it! I wanted to use up the last of the pink eggsheet that I had made the other day and rattled through my cutter shapes until I found the strawberry cutters that I've been wanting to use forever.

In the bento: The front tier contains plain spaghetti noodles with cute strawberry shapes. The back tier holds one huge piece of steamed cauliflower, an apple bunny, one Morningstar Farms chik nugget, steamed broccoli, two waffle fries and two baby tomatoes on picks. Not shown in the picture were a container of ketchup and a container of grated Parmesan cheese to be sprinkled over the noodles.

The strawberries were a learning process. The eggsheet kept wanting to curl up and not lay flat on the noodles. So I cut out a base for the strawberries out of provolone which helped a lot! The facial details are from nori and there are sesame seeds carefully placed on top of the eggsheet :) I cut the 'leaves' from lettuce with scissors.

The auctions for Bento4Japan are still going strong and new tantalizing items keep popping up daily. There are even some awesome looking bento starter kits! Please go and join in the efforts to send help to Japan.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Super Cute!

Happy Little Bento said...

I like the berries with their heart eyes... so sweet, and such a nice pink color!

Journal Mommy Yenny said...

I love your strawberries. They look cute...:)

Angeleyes said...

Nice bento! How do you make the pink strawberries??? Egg sheet?

Natakiya said...

Thank you, Dina!!

Natakiya said...

Thanks, Sheri :) I wasn't sure if the heart eyes were going to look okay at first. The heart shaped nori punch is so cool!

Natakiya said...

Thanks so much, Yenny!

Natakiya said...

Thank you, Angeleyes! Yes, the top layer is pink egg sheet. Underneath was a base of provolone cheese for stability.