Tuesday, October 18, 2011

A Proper Orange


Ha! This batch of orange rice has an intense orange color that is perfect for a Halloween bento.  I am much happier with it than with the one that I used for the candy corn onigiri.  The plain old gel food coloring from the supermarket did the trick much better than the Wilton's colors.  It's possible that the difference is due more to my being nervous about using the Wilton's though :)

A-chan was home sick yesterday but was feeling much better today.  She asked for another onigiri bento for today so I went for the all-time Halloween favorite - Jack'o'lanterns!  I love it when a peek at her bento turns her from a grumpy irritable morning grouch into a smiling happy to go to school girl.

In the bento:  5 spice tofu with edamame, black plum slices, two onigiri, black olives, steamed broccoli, cheese and nori stars and a corn croquette.

The pumpkin stems are broccoli stems and their leaves are split edamame.  The faces were hand cut from nori.

4 comments:

Happy Little Bento said...

O my goodness, I made jack onigiri today too! How funny! I love how orange yours turned out compared to mine!!

Journal Mommy Yenny said...

so cool of Jack o'lantern..!
it's good that she feels fine today :) she must be enjoying her lunch very much

Natakiya said...

Lol. Your onigiri is very cute and much healthier with the shredded carrot! I need to try that, I bet it's yummy :)

Natakiya said...

Thankyou Yenny!