Monday, October 31, 2011

Little Witch


Happy Halloween!  Are you ready?  There is one last piece of A-chan's costume to be sewn before I can declare it finished and ready for the evening. Her school costume is that of a Medieval child around 800 AD.  It looked extremely cute!  I adore the fact that her school requested that no one wear scary or grotesque costumes to class. One warning for anyone contemplating a medieval costume - the circular cloak is more than a match for a 5 point car seat.  It took 10 minutes to get her buckled in safely this morning.

For the bento today I wanted to make something that was Halloween themed but also cute.  My mind whirled with images until I finally decided upon this one.  I added some of A-chan's most favorite fruits and had to make her promise to wait until lunch to eat the pomegranate seeds!

In the bento:  Rice, blueberries, pomegranate seeds, carrots stars and jackolantern, steamed broccoli, steamed squash, sauteed tofu with black sesame seeds.

The little witch is primarily made from cheese but her cute green hair is zucchini.  The hat, eyes and nose are nori.  The mouth, red star and collar are all tomato peel.  The results of my morning experiment with tomato peel made me very excited!  I peeled a strip from a cut tomato with a paring knife before scraping the flesh away.  It left a very thin but workable piece that cut easily with scissors.

5 comments:

OhayoBento said...

I hope she has a great day all dressed up at school! The detail on your witch is amazing! It's the perfect Halloween bento!

Happy Little Bento said...

So cute and neatly executed. Love the little scene!

Natakiya said...

Thank you, Heather! She had a lovely day :) I'm so glad that you like the little witch - I was afraid she didn't come out well.

Natakiya said...

Thanks, Sheri! It makes me so happy that you think so!! :D

Bobo said...

oh.. i love this!
very neat bento!