Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Daffodil Pancakes

The daffodils are blooming, the daffodils are blooming!! Spring has unofficially arrived and I love it. The splashes of bright yellow brighten up even the most dreary day. A-chan and I are doing our bi-annual flower impersonations too. She has two inches of bright pink hair and I have 6 inches of dark purple. (There will be pictures later in the week, I promise) Everyone loves A-chan with her bit of pink, they gush over it all the time :D

In the bento: Miniature pancakes sporting leafy picks with provolone petals and a candy center, vegetarian bacon hearts, lots of strawberries, some Clementine wedges and a fried potato in the shape of a Hello Kitty face.

The candy centers for the flowers are 'Make 'n Mold candy wafers' that I found at Hobby Lobby. They come in all kinds of colors and can be melted down to make candy, or used plain to make beautiful flowers :-)

The HK face was made using a special cutter on a slice of potato, then I shallow fried it in olive oil on both sides for a few minutes.

In the background is the little monkey face container that holds strawberry icing for A-chan to spread onto her pancakes.

6 comments:

Bentobird said...

So festive and cute! I'm happy for you to have daffodils blooming...we have to wait another month or so!

Happy Little Bento said...

Super cute daffodils! Love it!

Journal Mommy Yenny said...

So creative to make daffodil pancakes :)
hope you enjoy your spring time

Natakiya said...

Wow, Bentobird, you have to wait another month?! I'm sorry, I'd send some your way if I could!

Natakiya said...

Thank you, Sheri!! :)

Natakiya said...

Thanks so much,Yenny! I love spring, it is fun to celebrate.