Thursday, February 17, 2011

Fruit Full Bento

A bento full of fruit. Fruitful! A-chan was entranced with the idea of food that isn't fruit...looking like fruit. It was a fun morning :) Of course, there is a lot of real fruit in there too. I put some huge slices of dragonfruit in today. I am delighted that I seem to not be allergic to it! This bento would have been a great for an adult bento without the cute faces. I wish that I'd taken a picture before the faces went on so that I could show it both ways, but I thought of it too late.

In the bento: One small onigiri 'orange', a large bunch of purple grapes, two slices of dragonfruit, some chickpeas on picks with a wedge of lemon between, steamed broccoli that can barely be seen, a 'peachy' sweet potato bun. Hidden underneath the grapes and onigiri are lots of carrot hearts for a nice surprise.

The face of the peach is nori, glued on with strawberry jam. There are sesame seeds on the eyes and more jam for the cheeks. The stem and leaf are cut out of a snow pea. The orange's eyes are the inside peas from the snow pea with sesame seeds on top. His mouth is made from nori.

4 comments:

Happy Little Bento said...

This one is so delightful! Peach bun is adorable :)

Lia Chen said...

Love the idea! Looks very cute and cheerful. What is your girl's favorite in that box?

Natakiya said...

Thank you so much, Sheri!! I'm glad that you like it. The peach bun is my favorite :)

Natakiya said...

Thanks Lia!! She loved the 'peach' bun. Sweet potato buns are one of her favorite things to eat :D