Tuesday, February 1, 2011

2 Giraffes

Today's zoo animal: Giraffes! Only day 2 of the zoo theme and A-chan's already twigged onto it :D I love giraffes! They seem very graceful to me. Isn't it amazing how versatile provolone and soy turkey can be? A monkey, giraffes...who knows what it will make tomorrow?

In the bento: The two giraffes are on top of a layer of jasmine rice. At the top of the right side is a bunch of soy sauce sauteed tofu and carrots, a couple of rice pasta giraffes, a heart shaped container with raspberries and quick cucumber pickles are squished in beside the berries.

The giraffes are made from provolone and soy turkey, cut out with scissors. The bottom part of their faces is cut out of cheddar. The eyes and nose are nori. The antennae are green peas with dry somen noodles. At the bottom are bits of red leaf lettuce that I cut into grass with scissors. I really like the way the lettuce kind of curled up and gave a good 3D look to the grass!

I'm so glad that I finally got a chance to use the rice pasta giraffes!! I've had the bag of pasta for a while but haven't had a good excuse to use any. When I saw it in the grocery store I convinced myself I bought it for our friends who are gluten intolerant, but I have to be honest - it was for bentos!

4 comments:

Happy Little Bento said...

Very nicely done!

Uniflame said...

I really love these! I think this is the first time I have seen a Giraffe in a bento :)

Natakiya said...

Thank you, Sheri!! I'm really glad that you like it :-D

Natakiya said...

Thanks, Uniflame!!