Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Inarizushi Bears

I am feeling so much better today! So much better that I decided to give myself a little challenge and try to make some cute inarizushi :) A-chan really liked them in our picnic bento last week and I still had enough left over to play around with them some. The bears came out pretty cute, I think. They are both a little different from one another and they are definitely not perfect but I had a lot of fun making them.

In the bento: The bottom tier holds a lot of rice with furikake and a huge carrot star. The top tier has two inarizushi bears, lots of frozen blueberries, a carrot star, a baby tomato and some simmered kabocha.

Once again I simmered the kabocha and the inari in the same mixture: water, soy sauce, mirin and brown sugar. It's only been about two months since I first tried kabocha and I'm really enjoying experimenting with it! I am planning to put some into our Japanese curry for dinner this evening, too :)

The bears' faces are made from provolone and nori with ketchup cheeks. (I would have used sriracha, but the ketchup was already sitting on the counter so I decided to give it a try) Their ears were the hard part. They were cut from other pieces of inari with a circular cutter. But they didn't want to stand up! After the circles were cut out I had a lot of pieces of inari that couldn't be stuffed with rice and were all kinds of weird shapes. So I shredded them and mixed them with sushi rice and sriracha for my bento.


10 comments:

Pikko said...

Love your bears, very cute!

Cooking Gallery said...

The bears are sooo cute...!!

Journal Mommy Yenny said...

ow, a pair of sweet bears looking so happy...:)

Lia Chen said...

The bears is super cute! Such a nice treat for A-Chan. i'm sure she will ask for more :)

OhayoBento said...

The bears are adorable!!! Glad you're feeling better. I want to see some pictures of the pink and purple hair! ^_^

Natakiya said...

Thank you, Pikko!! I like them a lot too :)

Natakiya said...

Thanks so much, Cooking Gallery! I'm really glad that they came out so cute :)

Natakiya said...

Thank you, Yenny!!!

Natakiya said...

Lol, she has already asked for more :) Thank you, Lia!!

Natakiya said...

Thank you, Heather! I will put up some pictures after the weekend.