Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Butterfly on a Pancake


I love doing Henna.  And I love that it can translate into decorating food!  When A-chan asked me to combine miniature pancakes with butterflies I was thrilled and jumped on the opportunity to put one of my favorite henna designs in her lunch.

In the bento: The large tier holds a mini muffin cup of tiny grapes, two slices of fuji apple, miniature pancakes , one carrot flower and one cheese flower.  The small tier has three waffle fries, a carrot butterfly, a tomato on a plaid pick, three veggie sausage links, steamed broccoli and more cheese flowers.

To draw the butterfly I made a henna cone which is basically a tiny version of an icing bag.  I filled it with strawberry flavored icing and piped out the design.  In the background is a tiny monkey container that is filled with more icing to be spread on the rest of the pancakes.  It is honestly very small and doesn't have room for much icing, but it makes her happy and is much less messy than syrup or honey!

The sausage links were originally two links that I cut in half.  For some reason I always tend to group things like the sausage links in threes.  I'm not sure why.  But I am always happy to eat the leftover portion for my breakfast.

9 comments:

OhayoBento said...

I've never tried icing on pancakes. Now I wish I had some icing, lol! I love that you use pancakes in bentos, I need to try that one day. Judging from that butterfly, your henna skills are excellent! Gorgeous!!!!!

rosewhiterabbit said...

The butterfly is beautiful! What a lovely breakfast-style bento!

Happy Little Bento said...

Oh, henna cone! What a fine idea for exacting work in bento! Love the elaborate butterfly :D

Unknown said...

So beautiful, ur piping skills are awesome! :)

Natakiya said...

Thanks, Heather! I used to practice henna designs by doing them in icing on pancakes and cookies. A-chan would get to eat them when I was done so it's kind of like a family tradition now :)

Natakiya said...

Thank you, Julie! Pancakes are always a favorite :)

Natakiya said...

Thanks, Sheri! It was so much fun to do and was very fast to do, thank goodness :)

Natakiya said...

Awesome, Sayuri! Thanks so much for the invite :)

Natakiya said...

Thank you so much, Ming! It's just a lot of practice :)