Monday, January 23, 2012

Where is the Sun?


A children's book inspired today's bento.  'How the Sun was Brought Back to the Sky' by Mirra Ginsburg was published in 1975, the year I was born.  We found our copy at Mr. Reed's Odds and Ends Antique store.  It's pretty much out in the middle of nowhere and filled with all kinds of things.  I like to describe it as a giant treasure trove.  In this sweet book some intrepid chicks decide that the sun has been gone for too long and go on an adventure to find it.  My thoughts on getting out of bed this morning mirrored theirs.  It's been raining for days and days - I need some sunshine!

In the bento: Tofu kaarage, blueberries, a tiny tomato, steamed broccoli, navel orange slices, rice with furikake, eggsheet chicks and flowers.

The tofu kaarage is adapted from a recipe for Chicken Kaarage on Just Hungry. My camera seemed to love the tofu as much as I do - every shot that I took this morning was focused on the tofu instead of the chicks! The furikake is one that I made from toasted sesame seeds, sea salt and tarragon.  And I even managed to have enough space for one of the new soy sauce bottles that I got at Christmas!

This post is my 400th bento post!  That is a lot of bentos :D   A while back I noticed that this big number was coming up and gave a lot of thought to a way to celebrate.  What I want is to start doing a link-up that focuses on our favorite things about bentos.  There are a lot of other bento peeps out there that I would love to know more about - what are your bento treasures?  Unfortunately I'm not feeling very good today so I'm going to start this whole new adventure tomorrow when I'm certain that I can be more coherent.


8 comments:

Uniflame said...

How lovely! Congrats on your 400th bento :) And such an adorable one!

Rina @ Bento School Lunches said...

Love your bentos and congrats on your 400 mark,that is a lot!! Looking forward to your link-up. Thanks for the chicken Kaarage recipe. Get well soon :)

berrygirl@mommy kiki can! said...

Really pretty bento! Congratulations on a HUGE benchmark! Looking forward to your next projects!

rosewhiterabbit said...

Congratulations on 400 bentos! The egg sheet chicks are adorable :)

Natakiya said...

Thank you, Cynni!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Rina :) The recipes on Just Hungry are pretty awesome, I love that site. I hope that people will enjoy the link-up, I think it will be fun!

Natakiya said...

Thanks so much, berrygirl! It's hard to believe that I've done so many posts :) I really love making bentos!

Natakiya said...

Thank you, Julie! I'm just glad that the chicks actually look like chicks this time, lol :)