Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Curry is Yummy!


Coming home from a trip to find that I had large amounts of Japanese curry already made and waiting in the freezer brought forth feelings akin to winning the lottery.  This stuff is a perfect foil to the rainy, dreary weather that is plaguing us this week.  Add to that the fact that it freezes well and was awesomely easy to reheat and you know why I'm in love with this dish!

In the bento: Japanese curry and rice, chunks of pear in a container, baby corn spears and a cherry tomato.

The curry contains onion, carrot, potato and tofu.  There is a small layer of rice underneath the curry sauce in addition to the sidewall of rice to keep the curry contained.  A carrot flower with black sesame seeds and snap pea leaves gives the curry a little pizzazz.  I am always amazed at what the black sesame seeds do to carrots - the orange color suddenly pops!  The panda pick just adds a tiny bit of cuteness :)

Here is a link to my Japanese Curry recipe.  It's very simple and totally incredible.  (I think everyone should try it!)

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Curry... curry... ultimate comfort food :) You made me feel like eating non-spicy curry which I used to eat when I was a kid. mmm.

Journal Mommy Yenny said...

definitely looks yummy!
and I agree on your note about black sesame seeds :)

Happy Little Bento said...

Me too I love curry in the cold weather! Looks super yummy indeed :)

Lia Chen said...

Yummy indeed! I love Japanese curry. Just different from our version of curry. Eat it with a bowl of warm rice is superb :)

rosewhiterabbit said...

It looks delicious and adorable!

Natakiya said...

It definitely qualifies as ultimate comfort food, I agree! Since the curry is for A-chan it has to be non-spicy but I put in tons of sriracha for me :)

Natakiya said...

Thanks, Yenny! I know, it's amazing how sesame seeds can transform something.

Natakiya said...

Thank you, Sheri :D Curry is the best!

Natakiya said...

Thank you, Lia! I love all kinds of curry, especially spicy ones. A-chan won't eat spicy curry though so I stick to mild Japanese curry for her.

Natakiya said...

Thanks so much, Julie!