Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Mama's Bento


There wasn't a need for a bento today.  A-chan was home from school yesterday and today for MLK.  So I made up an excuse to make a bento for myself.  It got eaten at home and satisfied a creative need.  As a bonus I made myself some quick pickles which I adore!

In the bento: Two lozenge shaped onigiri with nori wraps and eggsheet flowers, quick cucumber pickles, leftover Mongolian suegai from the Chinese restaurant, Moro orange slices, a small bunch of tiny grapes and a couple of chunks of Dubliner cheese.

The onigiri weren't quite large enough to stretch to both sides of the box so I placed them inside a large lettuce leaf to hold them in place and add to the prettiness.  The eggsheet flowers were held onto the nori with sriracha as 'glue' and sriracha dots grace the middles of the flowers as well.

We ate at local Chinese restaurant the other night where I got one of my fav dishes - Mongolian suegai.  Yum! There wasn't a lot of it leftover so I had the perfect amount for a bento.  It was a delicious lunch and a quick bento.

I had promised a while back to write up my vegetarian Spaghetti recipe that has been seen in several bentos here and there.  Technically it's my grandmother's recipe that I hijacked into going vegetarian.  But the recipe is now up on my other blog!  Woohoo!  Here is the link: http://incaseofasparagus.blogspot.com/2012/01/make-spaghetti-vegetarian-style.html

1 comment:

Happy Little Bento said...

How sweet! I love that you got to make and enjoy your own bento this weekend!