Monday, January 9, 2012

Bearly Corndogs


IchibanCon was amazing!  We had a wonderful time meeting new people and enjoying the ...well, everything! Everyone was incredibly friendly.  The hallway decorations were way cool.  I loved the panels that I got to go see and desperately wished that I had been able to get to more of them.  I'm hoping that I get to go back next year :)  And we even got home safely despite getting lost in Greenville, SC in a vain search for a Thai restaurant.  (That was an adventure...)

While I usually try to pack A-chan's bentos with more healthy food than junk food, sometimes I just can't help slipping in some good old fashioned corndogs.  These, however, are better than regular corn dogs.  They are miniature vegetarian corndogs with no sticks!  It can't get better than that!

In the bento: Three miniature corndog bears, a cherry tomato, steamed broccoli, checkerboard apple, two potato and onion pierogies, carrot flowers and two plaid picks for fun.

The corndogs took only 60 secs to microwave to perfection.  The pierogies took longer since they had to be boiled and then pan fried in butter, but they were still under the ten minute mark.

The bear faces and ears were cut from provolone cheese (surprise, surprise, lol) and nori.  Tiny pieces of uncooked somen noodles were stuck halfway through the ears and half into the dogs.  Ketchup was applied with the blunt end of a toothpick to create cheeks.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Yummy! My son would love this lunch it has all of his favorite foods!

Cat said...

Super cute, I saw veggie mini corn dogs the other day and I was really wanted to buy them, but I would have been the only one to eat them so they stayed at the store. (Used to be a vegetarian and it drove my parents crazy, I used to eat a lot of fruits and veggies, and I loved Morning Star, but I can't be a vegetarian anymore, and I can't be selfish about only buying food for myself.)

So for the apple... do you use lemon juice to keep it from going bad?

Journal Mommy Yenny said...

so cute of corndogs... :)

Lia Chen said...

I would love to have those cute corndogs! Love to see that you have been so productive in your bento making (^.^)

AikoVenus said...

Yee! I wish I would have thought of this! It looks so cute and delicious. ^^

Natakiya said...

Thanks, Jenn! It's all of our favs too :D The mini corndogs are so much fun

Natakiya said...

Thank you, Cat! I'm sorry that you had to pass up the mini corndogs :( I do use lemon juice for the apples - 1 part lemon juice to 2 parts water and then I submerge the apple pieces for 3-5 minutes.

Natakiya said...

Thanks, Yenny! I'm glad that you like them :D

Natakiya said...

You're so sweet, Lia! Thank you :)

Natakiya said...

Thanks, Bou Shin! I was so happy that they turned out well :)

rosewhiterabbit said...

Wow! You made the mini corndogs into absolutely adorable bears! They're so cute! The apple is beautifully done, too. Your bentos are always fun to look at, and you make some of the cutest charaben I've ever seen :)